Read Chapters 7 & 8
- What where the notable take aways from these chapters?
- How does the information from these chapters help you in your teaching?
- What can we learn from Adrian’s story about playing EverQuest, participating in a gaming community, building a website about EverQuest, and hacking games?
- When considering the “Social Mind” of distributed/dispersed knowledge, how does this impact our teaching?
- Are video games a “waste of time?”
- What challenges face our schools today, and what can we learn from video games?
- Do any of Gee’s Learning Principles (#33 – #36 are listed in these chapters) stand out to you?
- Everquest – Gee references this game as well as Adrian’s story as an example of the “Social Mind.”
- Half-Life – Gee’s example to discuss how distributed knowledge helped him complete the game.
- Video Games, Design, and Aesthetic Experience – Further reading from Gee—article published in 2016.
Topics In Practice
Submit An “In Practice” Example