Read Chapters 1 & 2
- What where the notable take aways from these chapters?
- How does Gee define literacies, semiotic domains, the problem of content, affinity groups, and critical learning?
- What are the pros and cons of thinking about learning in terms of literacies and semiotic domains.
- What literacies are present in your discipline?
- What literacies beyond your discipline are you also exploring with students?
- What strategies can we use to engage students in critical learning?
- How does the information from these chapters help you in your teaching?
- Pikmin Gameplay – Since Gee references this game often, follow this link to view gameplay of Pikmin to get a better idea of his references.
- Reading a game manual versus playing a game – Gee’s view on literacy and knowledge in one example.
Topics In Practice
Submit An “In Practice” Example